"Somethings Gotta Give"


I don't think another modern movie ever inspired me from a design standpoint more than "Something's Gotta Give" by Nancy Meyers starring Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. I loved everything about the featured house in the Hamptons: from the blue and white stripped dhurri, to the shingled exterior, back to the ebony wood floors, to the ironstone in the dining room, along with the slipcovered chairs around the table, to the desk where Erica writes her hit Broadway play. I bought the movie and freeze framed scenes so I could take notes. I had clients call me after seeing the movie to tell me that's how they wanted their house to look (right!)

The barely seen family room:





I wasn't alone in my love of the decor. Newspaper articles were written about it. People copied the kitchen all over America. One home magazine recently featured a couple who (thought) copied the house. I eagerly awaited The Holiday, Meyers followup movie, to see not the movie but the decor. It didn't move me visually the same way as Something's Gotta Give. The blogger Chameleon Interiors wrote extensively on the house, even sourcing furniture for the reader. Did the movie move you in the same way?

Detail from the living room. I love the black wicker chairs and standing lamp:



The much heralded dining room with ironstone plates, coveted slipcovered chairs, and wonderful light fixture:

No comments:

Post a Comment